Mobile web design otherwise known as responsive design, is designing and developing a website in such a way that it physically “responds” to the browser size. That means if you are viewing your homepage on a mobile phone the same web page that displays on your desktop browser would resize and re-position the layout to fit the mobile screen, using the same content.
Mobile Friendly Advantages vs. other methods
- Same content, crucially across all devices (No need to develop separate mobile versions)
- Easier to Maintain
- Lower Costs
- Fully supported HTML5 for majority of mobile devices
Why having a mobile web site is important
Mobile has taken the world by storm as current statistics suggest:
- By 2015, there will be 7.4 billion 802.11n devices in the market (ABIResearch).
- 1.2 billion smartphones will enter the market over the next 5 years, about 40 percent of all handset shipments). (ABIResearch)
- By 2015 mobile app development projects will outnumber native PC projects by a ratio of 4-to-1.
- The introduction of Quadcore to tablets, 4G, Cloud computing and the continuous adoption of HTML5 will make the tablet even more integrated into the work environment (Digital Ad Agency Vertic)
Whether you have a an e-commerce shop, business critical website or even a brochure website it will need to become mobile enabled, otherwise meaning missing out on a lot of traffic as well as creating frustrating potential customers unable to use the site properly.